View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Clark,
Your current reception situation is not terribly difficult. -53 dBm 1Edge is actually a pretty strong signal. For example my favorite classical station is KSJN in Minneapolis and it comes in at around -75 dBm 2edge and it is full quieting in stereo on my MR-80 99% of the time. We live 80 miles away from the transmitter.

So if your current tuner is having trouble, there could be a strong adjacent channel or co channel signal. It will be worth figuring this out before dropping big bucks on a tuner.

To check, go to fmfool.com and follow the instructions on the site. It will tell you the received signal strength and if there are any adjacent or co-channel stations.

If there are adjacent channel stations you can point your yagi so they come in off the side of the antenna where attenuation is the greatest. If there are co-channel stations you can do the same but IMO you are pretty much out of luck.

This will also inform your tuner purchase - if there are no strong adjacent channel stations you have a wide choice of tuners. If there are strong adjacents, you'll need a selective tuner like the McIntosh MR 80.

Hope this helps,
Tom

P.S. I haven't listened to the current crop of Day-Sequerra tuners - the FM reference is outstanding but it has been a few years since I heard it.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 02-28-2019 at 12:27 PM.