View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Funny but I still recall exactly what I wanted for my first system. I already had my first mid-fi system consisting of Denon components and Polk Audio speakers. Nothing exciting but it was playing music.

The year was 1989 and I was in still in college (second time around after electronics school) working evening for an electronics company learning on the job and doing some mil-spec soldering of components for their government contracts. At that point I had already worked out in the field as a computer technician for a company that used to service RCA, GE, Campbell Soup, etc.. Good times. This was back in the day when I could bring a hard drive controller card back to the shop and repair it myself with a soldering iron and replacement parts. Can't do that these days.

I already had exposure to high end audio walking into the audio stores and just listening. So the frame of reference was already there between my Denon/Polk and stuff I was hearing at the audio stores. After numerous trips and auditioning sessions my dream system was an ARC Classic 60 tube amp with then the new ARC LS1 preamp and Thiel speakers... A very lofty dream that I could never afford. I decided I was going to piece it together and work my way up.

I settled for a preowned Counterpoint amp after selling the Denon for next to nothing. Then sold the Counterpoint and bought a McCormack DNA.5 amp. Then came the Audible Illusions preamp and finally the Polk speakers were replaced by a pair of Martin Logan SL-3. This took years.

In retrospect, I should have just saved up and waited a few years and could have purchased that system that I wanted since I was offered a very attractive package deal from a very nice old timer who was working the audio store then. Never did achieve that dream system although I have owned many ARC products later in life. Still, that desire for that first system is vivid in my memories to this day.

So, no it doesn't take a rocker scientist to figure out what good sound is or what one needs. No reason to over complicate this hobby. It's all relative anyways, a good system is a good system, if it sounds great to your ears, it is not the wrong choice.