View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Rock
To me those would be two very different sounding speakers. It may take you a little getting used to the differences but I am sure you will be happy with either one.
Okay, so my wife and have just returned from auditioning the Kensington Tannoy and Bryston Model T's..... and Jim you nailed it.

These are two excellent speakers but with rather different presentations, that had left me in a bit of a quandry.

First things first. We began by listening to the Kensington's which were hooked up to a Sugden A21aL series 2 Integrated amplifier. The dealer rep suggsted this was probably the closest amp he had that might resemble the McIntosh sound, ok, fair enough.

After listening to a few cuts of some of my better known CDs, the Kensingtons certainly revealed the classic Tannoy sound, but a step or two above the Turnberrys. More detail, more clarity, more bass..and expanded sounstage. All of which I had imagined would occur. I was struck by how highs came out. In fact at first puzzled because Mark Knopfler's voice was not what I was used to.

After playing around for half an hour or so, my wife, if you can imagine, kept asking to hear the Model T's. So, we switched the speakers around. Now you may recall how I had reported how outstanding I had found the Model T's during their inaugural demo at TAVES Toronto in Sept 2013 (see TAVES Day 1 report).

Well, they awed me again... the imaging of these speakers is simply phenomenal. Due to space contraints we didn't focus on precise placements of the Model T's.... just sort of placed them about where they should be. You close your eyes and they just vanish. You are left with the impression of listening to someone performing on stage.

My wife said it best. The Model T's are like if you are in a theater at a 'live' performance. The Tannoys, are as if you are in a studio listening to a musician perform....

Both are excellent! At half the price of the Tannoys, the Bryston's are phenomenal...

Now if only I had the cash, to buy both!!!!!....