Thread: Esoteric DV-50S
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw@cn View Post
I've had the DV50s since it was first released. The list price was $6000 but I bought it for $5500 or so. The DVD PQ is great, better than an Oppo 93. Of course, it doesn't do BluRay but I have an Oppo 93 for that. It sounds better (IMO) than the Oppo which is seven years younger. I was really surprised about that, since I wanted to simplify my rig by selling the DV50s.

Right now it is off the shelf because I have been putting my Invicta DAC to the test. The Invicta sounds much better for PCM of all types. Since I have about 200 SACDs (most of which I love), I think I'll put it back on the shelf until I find a relatively easy way to rip them. If I do that, I'll send it to one of the repair centers for a tune up.
-----Hi,

What I truly would like to know is this:
what connections are you using, analog or digital.
Then, which type; digital HDMI, Coaxial, Optical, USB, ...? ...Or analog Stereo, or analog multichannel RCA, or XLR?

- Tres tres important to know when you compare two or more audio/video components.

* As for the DVD picture quality; how many of us are still into it big time?
...I mean watching a lot of DVDs? ...I must have over 5,000 DVDs and if I watch more than two per year on average for the last five years, that must be about it.
DVD simply doesn't compare with Blu-ray. ...Picture quality wise (low def vs high def), and sound quality wise (highly compressed lossy vs high res lossless).

I mean, if you're going to watch a ball game, get a good view on the large playing field.