Thread: KT150 tubes
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 PM

I've got the Dialogue HP integrated and 3 months ago swapped out the stock EL34 with the Tung Sol KT150s.

I was running Quad 2805s and swapped those out for a pair of Evolution Acoustic Micro 1's. Both speakers were augmented by a pair of JL Audio E12 subwoofers.

I've got a pair of Dali Epicon 8s arriving in the next 10 days or so and will try both sets of tubes.

What I found with the KT150s is pretty much what you read. More and tighter bass, no change in the upper registers in terms of glare, edge or whatever you want to call it.

The midrange is extremely good, but as has been said, the extraordinary beautiful midrange of the EL34s is better. If I only listened to jazz and jazz vocals, the EL34 would be my tube of choice. It is the majority of my listening. BUT.... as a percussionist I also wander over to the music of West Africa, Cuba, Cameroon and Frank Zappa as well as modern classical. For those genres I find the KT150 to be a better match.

For my 65 year old ears the KT150 is 85 - 90% of the wonderfulness of the EL34 but is much better on the other stuff.

And finally, I agree yet again with everybody that supports being a subscriber. I don't post much but visit here everyday. I've learned a lot and have had a lot of fun "sitting in" on the development of systems I hope one day to hear. I've also been lucky enough to even purchase a couple of pieces from Ivan, (subs and Dalis) and like many others here, have experienced what it's like to to do business with an extremely knowledgeable guy who puts YOUR needs first.

Being a supporter and subscriber helps keep all of the wonderful things I've experienced during the past year alive.

Thanks to all of you for such a great place to hang out!!

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables

Last edited by jzzmusician; 03-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.