View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Redwood is a really nice cable; hopefully there are some really tempting deals (used & demos) on Redwood/Wild/WEL over the next few months due to the new line.

AQ pricing has always been based on a simple formula of <fixed cost> + <length> * <gauge> * <metal type>. The new speaker cables have a much higher <fixed cost> than the prior line. They always incrementally increase the metal costs every few years. But that part of the calculation shouldn't be different versus the old line. The question is what the actual gauge of the new cables is, and what the proportion of PSS silver vs. PSC+ copper is on the Firebird and Dragon models (say Redwood was around 25% PSS; Wild was around 75%). The metal cost of PSS is several times higher than that of PSC+, so that alone causes the price to explode really quickly.
Totally agree. I think discounts will be hard to find but I hope folks can find them. Also I think used cables can get thrown around, stepped on, and abused. Redwood according to AQ has 6 silver strands (37.5%) and 10 copper for a total of 16. At 9 gauge and 3 meter I'm sure the characteristic impedance (resistance) is very close to zero. It's a better match for me than Firebird.

BTW, I think there is going to be a new line of Firebird power cords. Am I correct?