View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Hi frisqo,

so the idea was to build dmt 15.2 in more appealing box. Since I was not able to get Churchill pland I decide then to build DMT 15.2 in Canternury-like cabinets

I kept XO schematic intact, only use much better parts. Especially lower DCR inductor on bass. I believe all parts didn't cost me more than 300 Euro's for both speakers.

Box was made from HDF, plywood and fiberboard. But more important, netto volume was increased. I need to check how much exactly. Ports was made to same size as in original. Also, I try keep layout of front side as in original box (distance between driver and ports,...) I spend a lot of time working on damping. This is very often neglected in DIY world. IMHO it is equally important as anything else...

Now. Sound. Since I newer listened to Tannoy DC before I could't know what to expect. Many people doesn't love their sound. But, IMHO they provide such natural tone very few speakers can...I was surprised from very first note.

In combination with Pass (First Watt) M2 they sound sublime. For sure, this depend on SPL but in anything less than 40 square meters this should be enough. M2 is declared as 25/50 watts in pure A class.

I decide to go with solid state zero feedback power amp and vacuum tube preamp (WOT, 6H6P with small Tamura's as output transformers saved from scrapyard and taken from Sony Open Reel )

I have no cons. Sound is really superb. Friends with some experience with older Tannoy DC's said that mine are much more linear, more real. With all magic old can provide...

Well, all I can say is that I'm very happy!

PS can someone explain me how to attach files?