View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
The cable issue is not easy and a tricky and controversial issue.

I'm not a pro. And my subjective answer is just due to my experiance as a enthusiast, so don't consider it as anything more. Some would of course disagree with me.

I'v been testing different cables for years in my systems and in some friends systems. In these system I can quite good predict the outcome with different brands and different levels in a serie. It's harder in a system you never heard. But there are often some things that are the same.

It's often the best to use cables from the same brand for a number of reasons.
Cables are filters and they will effect the sound. Cables that suits many different systems are often better than they who is more spesializet in just a few systems/speakers. Often the big brands are good and witch one you prefer is a matter of taste.

I'm not that familiar with Audioquest in my system appart from a CAT-cable (diamond) I tried in my MSB-digital source and as interconnects in my home-cinema system.

So, if your intention is to stick with Audioquest I think you should use the same type if cable-specification, same materials as silver or copper and so on, all over the system.
To mix impedance in different cables is often bad for timing, transients and resolution I think.

The biggest upgrade for me was when I start to use everything from Nordost. Both that I use just Valhalla and Valhalla 2 and QRT-system from them.

Maybe the least important cable due to my experience above is the IC-cable to the bottom end/sub. (It's important but the least important.)

So, if you dare. Nordost have got a box to borrow with a lot of cables and I think QRT-things in it.
The worst thing that can happen is that you don't like it in your system and get some fun and experience.

Have a nice weekend
/Carl
Carl, you make some really good points. The best one is the wall sockets. If I could snap my fingers and make Edison's appear and pay the money I would instantly do so. The cost is minimal and this really should be done.

However, this amounts to going to the main fuse box and throwing four circuit breakers and then disconnecting a lot of equipment. I am going to do this at some point. In my system the improvement could be minimal because the current to the Niagara's is already very good with my existing 20 amp wall sockets. If I were going directly from the wall to my amps or my sources it would be a different story. I should have had this done with the installation of my Niagara's.

One of the great things about the Niagara's is they supply each 1.25KW with a 90 amp instantaneous current bank of very pure current. Also the 7000 which I use for all my sources has individual isolation transformers for each source. I don't know how much difference going to "superb" from "very good" current will make because of the power conditioners. But it still is something that should be done.

I see that you agree that the cable going to the sub while very important is less important that the mids/highs cables. The Wind is definitely equal to my other cables so little would be gained. I think if I had your Krells that need so much more current than my 1.25KW's and with no current bank but relying totally on the current from the wall, your use of the Furutech's becomes much more important.

Another excellent point is the use of the same brand of cables and cords. As you point out you can hear everything. Any change in cables or cords can be heard. I like the solid silver because of the increased resolution/clarity they bring to the system. But if you have a system that is on the rough side with a mid/treble that can sound hard, copper is less expensive and better.

I can't go with Nordost because of the incredible cost it would be. As you know IC's and cables are difficult to sell on the secondary market. My WEL 24' balanced IC (I looked it up) goes for 33,000.00 now. I don't remember how much I paid but it wasn't that much. You have all your gear between your Fenice's which means you must carefully isolate your gear. I spent the money so that I could locate my Thor there and isolate my sources by removing them from the sound as far as possible and even then have them on Wilson Pedestals.

AQ silver is incredibly expensive. I use a combination of silver and copper/silver cables, cords, and IC's in my sub system but pure silver everywhere else.

I enjoy following your system very much. I do believe that you are an expert on cables, IC's and cords because of the extensive testing you have done. You have the best of amps and pre but have saved a lot of money at the same time, allowing you to test and improve on the basis of your experience. I have not been able to do this. I think you are achieving the very best out of your system by experimentation.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-30-2020 at 02:11 PM.