View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 07:38 PM

105D adds a few more things to the offering. As a stand-alone DAC and improved power supplies. The 9018 DAC wasn’t one of my favorites but it does get decent reviews.

Downsides to the 205 - it doesn’t play UHD discs nor is the streaming system as powerful as the 20x (now adds Roon as a Transport service).

I actually prefer the sound of the AK range of DACs but the 203 implementation does skimp on the analog outputs and power supplies.

If you are buying preowned, I wouldn’t pay a premium for either - even if the market is commanding one. Disc transports are mechanical structures that exhibit wear and tear more noticeably. I remember you already purchased the 20x and didn’t pay a premium for it. So that’s good. If you want better sound, get the Bryston DAC and connect it to the Oppo via HDMI.

For the money, and you needed a second player - you might be better off getting a Panasonic UB820 to play UHD discs if that’s all you want. Or the Pioneer LX500 (which does use an upgraded AK4490 DAC) which does play SACD/DVDA and the lot like the Oppo 20x.