View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Go Dawgs

I'd like to resurrect this thread to see if anyone can answer a more specific question, namely about the Astell & Kern portables.......my iPod Classics are pretty much full, not to mention the fact that just to see, I tried them on several new cars......turns out that the new BMWs and Mercedes Benz models do not support the Apple iPod Classic hardware, so even if I wasn't out of room, they won't work with the newer cars anyway which sucks. To make matters worse, my wife's new X5 and the newer Benz models DO NOT have a basic 3.5 mm AUX jack, so I guess you cannot use a portable DAP through the analog out either.

I really would love to try one of the A&K portables (since they can be expanded to 1 TB or so) but I can't seem to find out if they would be compatible if you used the USB output into the USB inputs on a standard car stock system. I've read through the manuals and they don't spell it out specifically, but several models state that if you press the "USB" icon button on the A&K menu, then it will output music into an appropriate USB input/DAC. Does anyone know if that's their way of saying that you can plug it into the car's USB jack and get music?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3