View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Just because it hasn’t been proven, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist...
There are instruments to measure vibration. Very precise in fact. I would never disagree that various materials could potentially" shift" the resonant frequency of a component sitting on top. Passive devices can only shift as every material has its own resonant frequency.

Active devices, such as scanning microscope vibration isolation tables are excellent at removing vibration actively and cost on some has come down. Have at it... Believe me, these are much better than anything you will find in the hobby.

https://www.minusk.com/products/bm8-...isolators.html

Now, so what does it all mean? Where is the proof that electronics will shift their parameters with vibration? There is none. A very small measurable effect sometimes can exist with certain capacitors but this is insignificant for our hobby. We are talking about earthquake grade vibrations....

Do we not agree then that the EAR itself should be the instrument? Yes! This is what matters. So why not play a steady tone, better yet , PINK NOISE, sit down, see if you can pick out ANY difference in tone or focus or a shift in the soundstage as your friend or spouse takes a preamp for example and places it on a vibration device of your choice or simply hold it in hands or shake it...

Let me know! I have done this with my friends extensively over 20 years ago with various materials for a few years trying to improve things to the MAX. Amps, preamps, CDP, DACs, (not turntable or speakers as that is obvious)

What does an AUDIO MANUFACTURER THINK? I love this video of Paul McGowan. One would think with a system serious as his, he would invest into a few more of the German isolation platforms. It's not like he can't afford them. But... he walks his statement carefully on a leash to come to the following conclusion and his philosophy on racks and isolation platforms...

Enjoy https://youtu.be/DvMFoZutSbw

Last edited by PHC1; 11-09-2020 at 01:53 PM.