View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 06:59 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Good thing reviewing gear is part believing in what you hear and part romantic novel writing skills, telling the readers what they should hear and most importantly what the manufacturer needs to hear you say. All this very often without a shred of scientific evidence backing it up. In fact the recent articles that I posted on how we all hear different, how we perceive the memories which can be false and how short the audible memory is.
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.