Thread: Ms300/750/1000
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 PM

Cool Ms300/750/1000

After some experimenting and trial and error, I was able to take the original MS300 drive and convert it to a 1TB SSD. The SSD drive loads quickly, is very fast in use, presents no skipping or listening problems. I’ve not heard the fan turn on. I did not use the Golden CD.

When complete, the SSD will not update (good) and will not look for CD CoverArt or Disk Title, Composer, Track Title, etc (bad). I found that loading the drive from a computer or drive/memory stick is quick and effective and the data all transfers. I also loaded all the radio stations I like; there is a little trial & error involved; as we know, they don’t all work.

The items I used (excluding the drives) are as follows:
-Kanguru Mobile Clone HD One-To-One Duplicator
-StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE/SATA Converter – Part #IDE2SATA (make sure you change the jumper/pin setting to Master).
-3.5” to 2.5” drive/adapter holder to mount the new SSD.

I went from the original MS300 drive (mine was upgraded to a 750 IDE) to a 1TB 2.5” SATA then to a 1TB SSD. There were two steps. It was not a fast process – a complete disk copy takes 1+ hour depending on the music stored on the drive. FYI – the 1TB 2.5’ SATA also worked fine – it was just slower and generated some heat.

The order I used was:
Source Drive – Kunguru – StarTech Adapter – Target Drive
The StarTech adapter always went between the Kunguru and Target Drive. The Kunguru duplicates both IDE/PATA and SATA in either direction.

I did not do this in the most scientific of fashions, so there may be some variations of success. I make no guarantees or warranties. All I can say is that it worked for me. With the new caps and the SSD, I'm hoping I get more years from the unit.

I tried to duplicate the original 750GB to a 1TB SATA WD Green and it did not work correctly. I also tried the Golden CD on this approach and it still did not work.