View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Have had a Clearaudio Emotion SE for a few months, really like the sound. Cart is actually a Performer V2 at the moment!

Do you lads think it'd make sense to upgrade to the Perf or not really worth the expenditure. Maybe better to save for something a bit further up the line up if the difference/improvement is not as significant?
There were some significant improvements introduced in the newer line since the Emotion - e.g. CMB bearings and delrin platters. Plus there have been improvements worked into this line over the years, like the DC motor in the Performance, better tonearm models, and other less visible improvements. So I'd guess that something like a new Performance DC Wood with a Tracer arm (or better) would represent a substantial upgrade.

But if you're willing to wait and go further, why not look at the Ovation? It's a lovely table - I auditioned one with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze some years ago (great combo). It seems the main advantage the lower-positioned Innovations (Basic, Compact) have over the Ovation is the ability to run 2 tonearms, so if that's not of interest then the Ovation may represent something of a sweet spot in the lineup. Plus, if you do go for the standard 2-tier Innovation Wood, it's a slippery slope of temptation toward wanting to double it up into a Master Innovation. I really enjoy my Master Innovation a lot over my old Innovation Wood, but to be fair they'd upgraded the pulley by then, and I hugely upgraded my rack at the same time to a CMS Maxxum. The Innovation Compact is quite nice too; hearing that model at my dealer's is what started me down this track.

As for the VPI/Unipivot debate - I have a Graham Phantom Supreme that runs like a dream, but really it's more of a hybrid unipivot. That's how a unipivot should be done, IMO. The alignment jig works brilliantly, and ALL major adjustments are the easiest and most precise/repeatable I've ever experienced on a tonearm. Cons: the damping fluid gets a little fiddly, the anti-skate isn't very strong or effective (though it's better to under anti-skate than to over), and Graham support can be very hard to get in contact with - those are my only small complaints. I've heard my friend complain about his VPI unipivot's azimuth/counterweight adjustment, and I'd never want anything to do with that - maybe that's improved with newer models. But I also never heard of any Graham wands sagging or bending over time - best not to be an early adopter with that brand

Last edited by mulveling; 12-13-2018 at 06:11 PM.