View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 PM

Jason...I also think the caps in the SF GEs crossover as well as the drivers will also take some time to settle in. Also, as it relates to low frequencies with the KT-120s being "overcooked" can you explain what you mean and how the low frequency sonics are different with the EL34s in place? Just trying to understand what you mean by overcooked as it may also be a situation where speaker placement or listener chair placement changes can change the perceived boominess of a speaker in a room (an interesting experiment is to just play a low frequency tone burst or warble and put it on repeat and just move your chair around back and forth and left and right and see if it makes a change in how you hear the low frequencies and how tight, articulated and punchy they are in some positions vs. perhaps being too much, boomy or "overcooked" in other positions. There are bass nodes in some areas in the room where the standing waves build up and result in excessive bass and other areas where there are bass suckouts. The trick is finding where you get the best balance. I know your room is not big so moving things around may be limited by room dimensions but first thing I would do is plop your listening chair where it has been and then one speaker at a time move them back towards the rear wall and then back away from the wall until you find where the bass sounds most natural, articulated and punchy. Once you figure out the optimum position from a bass perspective one speaker at a time, I would then play with how wide apart they should be to optimize stage width while maintaining the most focused and solid center image. Once that has been determined, I would play with toe-in to optimize high-frequency smoothness and play with the rake angle on the speaker stands so that the tweeters are shooting at your ear level. If things are locked in at that point but you are still experiencing a little too boomy bass then at that point I would play with moving your listening chair back and forth little by little until you get the best balance and then you can re-tweak at that point in things like toe-in, rake angle, etc...Hope that's helpful.

Last edited by cmalak; 08-24-2014 at 11:37 PM.