View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Keith/Joe...My sense is if you bi-amp with different brandsand hence amp designs you will get a discontinuous sonic signature (due to slight shifts in phase, timing and timbral characteristics of the different amp designs), so you will not get a sonic presentation that seems coherent or cut from the same cloth. I think for the Cary 805 AEs, you will need a speaker that stays put above 6ohms (preferably above 8ohms) that is fairly efficient, although with it's 50wpc, you can get it to play loud with speakers of moderate efficiency without any problems. The key will be a flat stable impedance curve above 6ohms at least. I suspect the D38s dip below 4ohms in the bass frequency region which is why the combination sounds tipped up because the amp is not able to deliver sufficient current in the low frequencies, so you get attenuated bass output and hence the midrange and treble frequencies are highlighted. I am speculating but as Keith has mentioned, the amp is probably clipping or running out of current delivery in essence at those portions of the frequency band that represent a much tougher load. Just my 2c.