View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM

The Scout is an excellent place to start!

One of the things I discovered as I was looking for a cartridge is that there is a synergy between the compliance of the cartridge and the weight of the tonearm and cartridge.

Here is a link to an article that explains this phenomenon. https://www.ortofon.com/support/supp...ance-frequency

I got lucky and found a cartridge that works perfectly with the tonearm I had selected. I say selected in that most turntables permit you to select or change the tonearm. The tonearm is an important consideration, as much so as the cartridge.

If you click the link in my sig you can see a review of the cartridge I got. I have it mounted in an SME 309 tonearm. I bought the tonearm and a platter and bearing and took a slab of 6061-T6 to a machinist and had him carve it to mount the arm and platter bearing and notch out a hole for the motor.

The platter and bearing and concept of the turntable are styled after a VPI TNT.

As far as selecting a cartridge. I listened to as many as I could, read reviews, talked to people I knew, bought a few to listen to and compared to the reviews and comments I had heard. You might find a dealer in your area that can help you.