View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Mike,
Wow, this is an exciting day at your place. Unboxing new Canterbury's is quite the experience. Can't wait to read your impressions as a long-term Tannoy owner.

I've followed Jim's journey with Canterbury's for some time now. I saw he recently traded his REL B1's for a pair of 212/SE's. I considered those as well and pretty sure they sound outstanding in his room. The JL f113's are fantastic subs and very musical with the Canterbury's so no regrets. I'm very happy with them.

Keep us posted and enjoy your first day with new Canterbury's!
I've only had a few quick listening stints, and not all from the sweet spot, but boy - these speakers sound fantastic right out of the box!!

I won't be having any SE regrets. The GR's kept all the musicality and coherence Tannoy is famous for is intact, and perfectly integrated a dose of modern hi-fi technical acuity. Very clean, well-balanced and dynamic. Notably more punchy, snappy sounding than the SE's. Notes hold more weight and have more clearly defined edges. Great imaging. No supertweeters tried yet; not sure I'll even need them in my room and listening spot. Took some fighting with the SE's to open them up and push the top-end. Not here.

Also not sure yet whether I hear any improvement from the new AQ Niagara 7000 (installed after 1st listen to the GR) -- but the GR definitely sounds different than the SE, LOL!

On its way next 2 weeks: CMS Maxxum rack (3 levels is all I can afford, and then some), Clearaudio Innovation Master turntable, Rogue Apollo Dark monoblocks. I've been on quite a run, but don't worry -- next month I'll be firmly shackled back into the galley-slave slot of my working-class life!

Last edited by mulveling; 08-11-2017 at 08:16 PM.