View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Semi-audiophile

elbig,

On my way home from the gym I went into the Best Buy near me, and then into the Magnolia room, where I saw 3 Sony OLEDs: your 77" A9G, the 65" A9G, and the 55" A8G. In a room that size the 55" OLED looked almost puny, smaller than my 50" Kuro. The 65" looked stunning: a rich, saturated, warm, organic, and detailed picture. The 77" showed different content but was open, detailed, natural-looking, and didn't seem as big as it really is. The picture was so good I didn't notice the screen size. Again, I'm sure the Magnolia room size had something to do with that even though I was only a few feet from the screen, less than the 12 feet you sit at. But you're in a smaller room than the Magnolia room, so that 77" is just right for you. Based on what I saw, you have many days of primo viewing ahead. Enjoy!

For me, I actually blurted out to the salesperson who came over I was waiting for my Kuro to die so I could move to a Sony. That wasn't how I was thinking, but having seen them in person, I realize it's an under-the surface truth. My replacement choice would be a Sony OLED. The 55" fits my space; the 65" would if I'm a bit creative with my system setup, as it's JUST a bit too wide given it sits lower than my Kuro because of the height of its stand; the 77" is out of the question (size and price).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks