View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inga View Post
Maestro- more homogenic sound, bigger scale, natural hights, natural midrange, more tolerable to sibilant records.

Scala -airier hights. Midrange to high frequencies transition not so seamless as Maestro.
I can confirm the above having owned both but I wouldn't say the Scala has airier highs alone - those highs are brighter and more ragged. The Scala (although I enjoyed my time with it) needs a complete overhaul - the tweeter needs smoothing out, the midrange needs a massive upgrade in terms of clarity and the woofer needs to be tighter and more properly blended into the whole so that the speaker sounds like a single point source as the Maestro does. Given all that, I'm pretty excited for the Scala EVO as that looks like it fixes all of the above and should make the Scala the speaker it should have been from the beginning.

btw, if you want those airier highs on the Maestro - all you have to do is put the jumper in the high position - it's as open as the Scala's highs and almost as "exciting" but considerably smoother.

Ultimately, it's no contest, the Maestro crushes the Scala in terms of performance, BUT you need MASSIVE amounts of current into 2ohms to get full performance out of the Maestro (I'm finding that my current amps are not up to the task at 300W/8 ohms, 600W/4ohms but only 720W/2 ohms so I'm having to move to a beefier solution, but even with my current amps the Maestros are clearly superior) - if your amp doesn't have that, then wait for the Scala EVO, I expect that should be a fantastic speaker.

Last edited by Bar81; 10-20-2017 at 04:41 AM.