View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 PM

Over the years I've owned several Marantz products including the ST6000 tuner, SA11S1 SACD player, SA12S1 SACD / DVD player, SM11S1 power amp and SC11S1 preamp.

With one exception they've all performed flawlessly.

The exception was the SA12S1 MC SACD player which decided to fail less than 3 years after purchase.

Although the warranty states 3 years, the mechanism was only covered for 12 months and the local region importer made me pay the full $500 cost for a new mechanism. However, it subsequently turned out that the mechanism was damaged by the mech controller, so not only was the real fault not fixed but the new mechanism was destroyed shortly after it was installed too.

Unfortunately, the importer / national service centre wouldn't reimburse any service charges and I was informed that the unit couldn't be repaired.

Naturally, after spending $7000 on the player, plus more than $500 for servicing, I was less than impressed.

The importer reluctantly agreed to give me a slight discount on the new (SA11S1) model, but that was as good as I could get, in spite of making all sorts of noises and threats etc.

I was definitely not happy with the experience at the time.