View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Aegir x2

So I now have 2 Aegir's running as mono blocks. The new one is "burned in" and now sitting side by side with my other Aegir. While I really like the Aegir as a mono block, I have to preface my comments with the fact that Stereo Aegir can only use RCA inputs and mono Aegirs can only use XLR inputs. My pre to amp RCA's are AQ-Jaguars and my pre to amp XLR's are AQ Panthers. So from a cabling standpoint its "similar" but not apples to apples. There is no way for me to know what differences are due to stereo vs monoblock, XLR vs RCA and/or Jaguar Vs. Panther.

So, with the cable caveat in mind, what changes when you run Aegir x2 vs. a single Aegir? A listen to Mozart's Ave Verum (Dr. Chesky) can demonstrate most everything that I've been able to "hear". First, it's immediately noticeable that there is more "umphh" in the bass (pipe organ pedal notes). There is simply more air moving - even at same volume levels (if that makes any sense). Second, low level detail is more easily heard giving the recording a greater sense of space and depth. Each voice in the choir has a larger 3D space around it and the "room" is more palpable giving an even greater sense of "you are there". Third, there is a touch more "body" to the organ and to each voice making the male voice parts sound more natural and easier to hear clearly. This added body also makes the sound of the organ slightly more resonant and brings the mechanical sounds of the organ some realism that is easier to hear - more "lifelike".

Every recording I've listened to with Aegir x2 demonstrates the above mentioned improvements to one degree or another. The added "body" is particularly nice as it lends an even greater sense of warmth and "realism" to the overall sound. The only similar experience between similar amps in my memory banks was about 18 years ago when I had a Krell FPB 300 and an FPB 600 in hand for a while. The FPB300 (or was it 200?) sounded great, but the FPB 600 was "wow" - a different level. Aegir x2 is "a different level".

Is it all good news? - well no. Aegir x2 makes one twist the volume knob a bit further around (because its so warm and clean and inviting) but mono Aegir's running Revel F228Be's in mono can run out of gas (even in my small listening room)! On occasion one or the other of the two amps has shut down for a second or two upon delivering a large bass transient (such as a Telarc Concert Bass Drum played loudly). I was probably playing it louder than it needed to be, but its happened several times with different types of music (another example: Coldplay "magic"). Again reducing the volume to only too loud (instead of way too loud) fixes the issue, but i find it puzzling since running a single Aegir in stereo mode NEVER shut down for any reason. Perhaps as a monoblock, Aegir isn't overly fond of the 3.42 Ohm min. impedance (at 98 Hz) that the F228Be's present? I've inquired of Schiit and they seem puzzled as well - they are "working on" an answer for me? I'll follow-up if they come up with anything other than "over current" "turn it down".

Even with the small limitation, I am impressed with Aegir x2. The "level" of reproduction definitely moves up a notch or two and the added "warmth" is a really nice touch. AT $1600 for the pair the performance is quite good. There are some amps out there near that price range that also should be considered, but if you can live with 80 watts (mostly class A) I'm not sure you can touch Aegir x2 performance for the price.