View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Someone mentioned that there was a run of bad Hexfreds. Wonder if you might have one, or more, of them breaking down once they are fully warmed up and loaded? Nothing worse to find then an intermittent problem. You, and the tech trying to find the problem, have my sympathy.
It might have been me you were thinking of, noted it above. UGH! Had my amp back-and-forth FIVE times to my local tech after a simple upgrade to coupling caps and added Hexfreds. He emailed me the 4th time and said "this amp is driving me crazy", literally.

After he would test it, tested parts, checked for cold solder joints, he would run it for 2-3 hours on the bench and NOTHING would blow, fuses looked all normal. THEN, I'd get it home hook it up and play it with music for 2.5 to 3.0 hrs, like clockwork, it would blow a fuse. Then, it started blowing fuses faster. Finally, it would blow a fuse right at power-on. Finally, we could find the bad part(s).

Sure enough, three of five brand new Hexfred diodes finally tested as bad. Apparently he bought a batch from an online supplier. So, we went to a completely different supplier and replaced all five Hexfreds.

Knock on wood please, it's been fine ever since. No more blown fuses lately.