View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Charles

George is a friend of mine, I know his intentions. I can tell you the dealer was not harmed.
Joey, I have repeatedly stated I am not impugning anybody's intentions, insulting anybody, or questioning anybody's veracity.

Unless you are the dealer I don't know how you know that the dealer lost a potential sale because the demo was out of the store. But that's on the dealer not George. I respect George and believe his logic and purchasing methods impeccable. I also respect you and want to be friends with everybody.

If I'm the dealer, I'm not going to allow anyone to take a premier pre or amp out of my store without a sizable deposit and without the knowledge that the person in mind is trustworthy and has at least a 90% plus intention of buying it. This scenario would occur only very rarely, if at all.

If I'm the dealer, I'm going to keep my demos in store and even then, I'm not going to allow virtually anyone in my showroom unattended. I count it an honor that my dealer will allow me to do so. My feeling is that folks should feel themselves very fortunate to get to see, handle, and demo pieces like the C1100 for even a brief period of time.

C1100's don't grow on trees. I don't even think my dealer even has one in his store and he has a big store.

Once that hypothetical 10,000 to 20,000 dollar piece is gone out of my store how do I get it immediately back if I have a serious potential buyer?

How do I know as the dealer that it has not been dropped or damaged in some not obvious way? If it has been accidentally damaged, who is responsible for the repair? Who would ever want to buy this unit? I personally would never want a unit that has been bumped around in the back of the trunk of a car or set on someone's rear seat. One unexpected panic stop and the unsecured unit has hit the floor hard. So the unit would have to be re-packed in its original box and then re-packaged again on return.

How do I sell it when the time comes? As a dealer I believe I have a fiduciary responsibility to disclose to the prospective buyer of my ultra expensive demo that the unit has been in multiple people's homes for extended lengths of time.

I could go on but I hope you see my point. However, to folks like George that can find dealers willing to allow in home auditions of multiple expensive units, some new and some used, more power too them. It's on the dealer to bear the burden of potential problems, not them.

Last edited by Charles; 02-15-2020 at 01:50 PM.