Thread: Which Knife?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 02:18 AM

Seahug totally agree on your Kramer analysis, and on a budget, the 8” would also be my choice.

I have had a bunch of his various styles and initially fell in love with his 8” Zwilling western handle profile. Bought it to test the profile before auditioning a hand-forged 8” (seller was asking $6500) for about a week. In your hands, you can instantly tell the difference but I just couldn’t justify the upgrade price, the Zwilling carbon is that good. I kept the 8” zwilling carbon, bought the stainless version for S.O. to abuse, and used the difference to buy a bunch of other master bladesmith pieces. Have a nikiri and petty from Carter that Inlike (wasn’t a fan of his other profiles and they didn’t last long in my bag), a 7.5” and 9.5” from Haley DesRosiers and have a 9” Burke in production (not to mention a dozen various Japanese and misc other specialty pieces in my bag). Right now the 7.5” DesRosiers is what I use 90% of the time and you should get on her list asap while her books are still open. Profile is french inspired and gives a little more rock action than the Kramer, cuts like a laser, handle is an extension of my hand. $1k ish for W2, double and up for damascus and special features (check-out her keyhole handle)...basically the same prices most M.S.’s are charging.

Btw, Zwilling Kramer stainless damascus (I have the 10” bought on clearance from their outlet) and I find it a bit sticky and the plain stainless and carbon models have much better food release.