View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
I went from the high end Mac tube system, the C1100 and , at the time, the top of the line Mc2102 tube amp to an all ARC system. I made that transition one component at a time and can say with some degree of confidence---the combination of Mac/ARC is worse by far than an all ARC system. That is, the improvement will be slight with one ARC component and one Mac component. If you prefer the Mac sound--warm and rounded--stick with it. If you prefer greater transparency and more texture and color but not as warm and rounded--go all ARC. If you purchase one ARC component at a time in a Mac system, start with an ARC preamp which will give you an idea of what the ARC sound is all about, but don't leave the system there as you will be hearing even half of the ARC peamp's potential. When you add an ARC amp to the system the improvement is a sea change.
Very interesting.
I was under the impression of just the opposite, but I've never had the pleasure you've had of owning both; nor have I been able to hear both in the same room with the same speakers. The ARC I've heard was warmer and fuller. Mc was more clear, colored, and somehow lifeless by comparison. I'd like to hear more comparisons of house sound/qualities between the two brands.
I still like Mc, I've just heard two ARC systems that really moved me.