View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerome, also have to consider the actual units sold.. No doubt Ayre, ARC, McIntosh sell many more units, therefore you will see many more floating out there as the audiophiles chase the next object of desire. I don’t doubt the GAT2 sounds great as do many tube and SS preamps but we both know that in a serious A/B listening session there are much more affordable products that would impress to no lesser degree once our “emotional” part of the buying aspect is put aside and only our ears are allowed to make the selection. It’s the pitfall of high end audio and the feeling of belonging to a certain camp or being partial and loyal to a particular brand that gets in the way of a rational purchase of audio gear. Am i wrong??

Serge,

I share some of your points.
High end gear is way overpriced. We do agree.
But my experience is that stunning preamps are very rare. They are just very tough to design and build.
Power amps ? I could be more impressed by a 2k power amp than a 20k one. It happened to me more than once.
Not true for preamps. If you can find me a preamp that sounds as good as the Gat at a fraction of the price, then I will sell the Gat without any hesitation.