View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Great points. Currently my system VERY SLIGHTLY leans towards a detailed, precise, and cooler sonic signature so I would like to avoid anything that would push me further in that direction. I was thinking of targeting a more balanced or slightly warm sounding cart. But not overboard with warmth to lose that speed/detail of instruments.

Reasons for upgrading, mostly age of current cart (4 years) but I’m also thinking this is one of the weaker spots in my system, relatively speaking.

The Lyra Etna recently caught my attention but 1) I’m worried that might not be balenced or warm enough 2) cost was a little more than I wanted to spend.
I'll recommend the Benz LP S from Benz-Micro. Full retail should be ~$6k.

If your 'arm is the 10cc EVO 10" Tonearm, the LP S with its 16g weight and 15 cu compliance should match well with 'arm resonance ~8Hz. It's a well built cartridge that will yield a touch of warmth and excellent frequency balance - with authoritative bass. Output is .36mv which should be fine with your VAC's 64db gain.

The Etna is a nice cartridge, but I doubt you'd get from it what you're paying for with your current 'arm and 'table.