View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Comparing headphones to a full range speaker makes no sense at all. The only conclusion you can come up with is that either or both will give you a enjoyable listening experience. They are two different experiences.
Jim, headphones win hands down in terms of sound quality for the simple reason that unless the full range speakers are properly setup, the room is of proper size, properly treated, the speaker is a good match for the room, the amplifier is a good match for the speaker, etc,etc,etc... all the typical variables that go into assembling a good to great 2 ch full range system is addressed, the results are not great. Now, we both know what an effort that is to get a full range system sounding great.

That is why experienced audiophiles that have experienced both would say this headphone easily approaches $60k, $80k or whatever... which is for the most part true except the actual $ amount as that is impossible to determine accurately but the concept itself is true.

A reference grade headphone driven by a great source and a well matched amplifier simply destroys anything that can be done at multiples of the price for full range. The reference grade headphone is a full range speaker of incredible performance that comes with a fully treated room!

Having said that, some people never can get used to headphone listening but for me personally, I would never go to such lengths to try to get the same sound quality from a full range system. The acoustic treatments alone cost me over $20k not to mention the other expenses of building out a dedicated room/theater that cost me in excess of $200-$225k some years back with the all the gear thrown in to the mix. (Wilson Alexia, Polaris center, Wilson surrounds, subs, D'Agostino amps, Transparent cabling, Bryston amps, etc....)

I am perfectly happy with getting outstanding sound quality without any room issues right between the ears at fractions of the expenditure. YMMV.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.