View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Physics are physics with a driver radiating a front and a rear wave that either sum or cancel depending on position/room mode. Very often that can also be used to an advantage to tailor the sound to taste. Any speaker regardless of design benefits from careful positioning in any room. Some rooms are way more problematic than others.

In my own approx 30x30 finished basement which is my listening room, fine tuning the Harbeth 30.2 took quite a bit of work in a quest to bring out the bass without comprimising the soundstage or overall coherence and focus. It was less than a 1/4 inch that finally did it. However, I am also sure there are countless other possibilities which I may never even discover at this point since I’m happy with the result and that’s good enough for me.
Your points are well-taken, Serge, but the physics of an open-baffle speaker and a box speaker are not the same, nor are the room modes created by either type. How each speaker type sum or cancel is not the same.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.