View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbyte View Post
Just got my special 40 last Friday. Sounding really good. These are sweet sounding speakers. Smooth relaxed lush sound. Using it with a Hegel Rost. These speakers need more power.
I am confident they sound very nice. There is a very clear behavior for break-in for Dyns, though, that needs to be understood. They sound good initially, but they may very well start to sound pretty bad at 100-150 hours, start to clean up again by 200-250 hours, and by 300 hours, bing! They will also of a sudden "be there". Its very important to stay on with them when they start to sound poorly mid-way through the break-in period, because once you get past 300 hours, you will be REALLY happy. I've read of several owners that sold them during the uncomfortable-sounding period of mid-break in, and came to regret it later. So patience is key...

Regarding power: actually, what they need is current, not power, as they have very large, 3" voice coils. High quality, mid-power tube amps can swing large amounts of current when required for transients. I drive my big Dyn Contour S3.4s with a 70 WPC C-J LP70S very effectively.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.