View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
porsche993TT, in response to your comment, I would ask you which ARC and which McIntosh? Both gear have changed dramatically over the years, particularly as I understand it, ARC. As I understand it the older gear, i.e., amps before the 160M, sound very different than the current ARC gear. "much smoother and more accurate", I would maintain is an unwarrented generalization that many ARC aficionados have aimed at Mac over the years and for many years.

How many hundreds of hours does it take for your ARC amp to burn in before this is true? As I understand it, it takes hundreds of hours before an ARC amp is "burned in". Next you must wait 20-30 minutes after turn on for the amp to stabilize sonically, and so on. And then there's that noisy fan.

With my 3500, it is ready by the time I sit down after turning all gear on, i.e., about 20 seconds. It requires no fan. It is more powerful than most high powered solid state amps and far more powerful than a 160M. As far as the sound, it is beyond reproach. I would prefer it to Robert Harley's M10, see p.146 TAS September issue. My bottom line opinion, it is by far the best amp I have heard. It handles my XVX like it is a baby. The XVX has a minimum impedance of 4-ohms.

Let's be real/genuine. Although everyone has a right to an opinion, an off the cuff comment like yours says more about your knowledge of high end audio than it addresses Ed's question.

Best

Charles
well charles, sorry if i offended you and mcintosh, been in the business for 30 years, have a little knowledge and have my own opinion, have owned and sold mcintosh, i am quite familiar with them. am glad you like your mcintosh, i will stick to my burmester an i stand behind my thoughts/opinions, arc ref by a mile

Last edited by Porsche993TT; 08-31-2022 at 07:46 AM.