View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Congratulations! The Gryphon 120 Integrated seems perfect for your excellent system. At 440 watts into 2 ohms, this means it is superbly built and also dual mono in design. This is a hidden gem that might be the best integrated amp on the market in its price range. How did you discover it? I read about it, very impressive. What are the boxes on the wall?

Best

Charles
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the sentiment, and the compliment. When I got my Dyns, they sounded really nice with my PrimaLuna but I kept hearing that without more significant power I was not taking full advantage of what they could do. I got the PrimaLuna from Ivan something like 12 years ago and even though it sounds like new after full break-in, I was thinking maybe it was time for some “updating” as they say on the home improvement shows. For the past several years I have been starting to think about what would be on my “list” keeping in mind my room size, equipment, and importantly, what would be the “caliber” of likely upgrades so that whatever I ended up getting would not get outgrown by other subsequent changes. So on my upgrade list the early favorite was Accuphase E-650 and later the E-800. So what happened to them— climate change! I live in Miami! When I got the Prima, it was shortly after the model came out. A year later PL came out with the HP model (double the power from double the tubes). My room was comfortable with the PL I had gotten but I was not so confident about 8 Golden Lion EL-88s or Tung-Sol KT-120s or 150s.

I had seen some postings on AA by members who had the Diablo 300, the Diablo 12— and also someone who was auditioning the monoblocks (let me tell you, they are the size of Mini-Cooper). Whenever I saw anything about Gryphon there was never a negative word and the description of the sound seemed to be just to my liking. So as I was making up an updated list (to which I added Gryphon) I went to each manufacturer’s website. (Pass Labs lost out to climate change along with Accuphase). If I recall correctly, Gryphon’s website showed it only currently had two dealers in the US— one in San Francisco and the other about 15 minutes from my house— in a commercial wing of a historic hotel that I had gotten married in 36 years ago next week. I called the guy and a couple of weeks later went over and had a listen. I listened to some other equipment there— including Mac (but not like yours— MC w275 with a Mac pre (I forget which) — and I was just smittten. That listening session was with Joseph Audio Pulsars. Thewn I got to hear the Gryphon with my Dyns —> and you know what, them Danes get along with each other really well. So that’s how I ended up with the Gryphon.

The boxes on the wall you ask— would you believe me if I said “Stillpoints”? They are Stillpoints Apertures. They are just the most amazing (IMO) acoustic treatment. They ain’t cheap but I know a dealer who can make you a great deal— you know him too! I actually got mine in the AA Marketplace. My room is fairly small— about 12’6 x 16’3 with my speakers on the long wall. The back of the speakers are about 18” from the wall and each, about 7 feet on the diagonal from my ears. With those Apertures, my soundstage is like the wall the speakers are in front of is not even there— and even with my equipment and TV between them. They are a fabulous addition to listening rooms/spaces and do a number of different things. Ivan could tell you more. Thanks for asking. The room has really “grown up” this year!
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.