View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks Stephen - great information, as always. I’ve been debating how to incorporate Shunyata’s Ethernet cables in my system. I have a Sonictransporter i7 and NAS connected to a Trendnet switch to Synology router, a 35’ run of generic Cat5e going direct from the other Ethernet port on the Sonictransporter through a crawl space to a wall jack in the listening room, then 3 meters of AQ Cinnamon from the wall jack to my Linn streamer. I’m wondering whether some sort of optical isolator and an Alpha to the Linn would be a step in the right direction.
In my experience, yes, absolutely it would. Cat5e is not shielded, and any unshielded digital cable is susceptible to various noise factors, including RFI and EMI (shielding Ethernet cables creates other problems of their own, but that is a subject for another thread). Going optical would circumvent these problems, and the cable is also easier to route. Also, if you have a SMPS powering your Trendnet switch or Synology router, those are putting the insidious and nefarious low- and high-impedance AC leakage currents into your copper Ethernet connections (these leakage currents create all sorts of nasties, not the least of which is increased jitter and clock phase noise), and the run of optical completely abolishes those, as well.

Also, Uptone Audio will be releasing their new EtherREGEN Ethernet switch soon, and I would strongly recommend you replace your TrendNet Switch with that. Connect your Sonictransporter's Ethernet port to the "incoming side" of EtherREGEN, as well as your Synology router, and then use the SFP optical transceiver on the "output side" of EtherREGEN as your upstream FMC for the 35 ft run of optical fiber down to your audio rack. Then get a Sonore OpticalModule for the downstream end, and run a Shunyata Ethernet from that to the Linn. I would power the OpticalModule with an LPS, either a ReliaPro from Jameco, or better yet, an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2

With this setup, I'm quite confident in predicting you will obtain a LARGE degree of improvement in your digital streaming front end.

Let me know if I can help with any configuration or related questions.

Cheers, Tony.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2019 at 07:26 PM.