Thread: 804D3 vs 803D3
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Hi rodH,

I can share a little perspective from the other side of the fence. The Great Recession wiped out 50% of our dealer base in North America, so the option to stay with independents exclusively was no longer an option. The venue for selling brands like ours is in a store and not online (headphones are a bit different.)

Like any big company, the quality of sales people at Magnolia varies widely. Some stores are filled with pros who know their craft (which is reflected in their sales,) and some not so much. However, when I visit independents, I can't say they are uniformly better. If I had a dollar for every independent that I've visited with disinterested staff, dirty stores and bad sound, I could afford that bottle of Pappy I saw earlier this week.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodH View Post
Don't these use the exact same tweeter? Is it actually brighter or is it because the 804 doesn't have the bass to counter the tweeter, which makes the speaker on the higher end of the frequency side?

btw, does it bug anyone else that Magnolia carries B&W, McIntosh, etc...? I kind of liked going into high end privately owned shops vs a big box store that 15 year olds are trying to sell you high end gear. Some of the stuff I hear them say just makes me shake my head. I guess it is good for the manufacture as I am sure they get much more exposure.