View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 PM

This thread's an antique but I'm bumping it because I'm (impatiently) awaiting delivery of my Ultima 2s. I preferred their brand of smooth response and tight control over the mid band and high end. A lifetime of listening to etched and elevated upper mid band energy (ironically, frequently through JBL's/Harman's professional products) has taught me to shy away from such sound. I just don't like peaks/emphasis in the upper mid-band. The Revels deliver smooth response (sound) all the way up in that regard. Never mind the measurements, you can hear that quality right off. They are very smooth operators, easy going and to me, natural sounding.

I don't really select (or at least I'd prefer to think I don't select) speakers based on what they look like but to be frank, I think the Revels look fine. No kidding.....I find many modern speakers look like squared up Daleks to me....and not just the Wilsons.

As lamented, the Revels come only in black or high gloss mahogany but as already discussed, one thing the Wilsons share with Daleks....and it ups the WAF considerably.....is that they come in colors.

BTW, I thought the Alexx demo in Chicago this year was one of the three or four most impressive sounding rooms at the show. Of course, comparing Alexxes (Alexxi?) to Ultima 2s is really not fair to either product. But they did have that etched sound (and very popular it is these days) I thought spoke of a certain level of distortion I felt isn't something I hear in music. To be fair, the Alexx(es) had less of that than a lot of highly vaunted products I heard at the show. No doubt I'd be happy with a pair of them....no doubt at all.

Anyway, the Revel section needed a bump. Happy to provide it!

Last edited by Pampero; 04-28-2016 at 11:57 PM.