View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser View Post
Have you thought about investing in a good streaming device as opposed to torturing yourself with fm programming?
I have not, in part because I'm a dinosaur, and in part because I came at this in the process of updating my ancient stereo system, which includes a tuner, of course. I'm not averse to streaming, just prejudiced that the source quality available is not up to audiophile standards. (I find Sirius/XM radio sound unacceptable, though I use it in the car.) I'm willing to be disillusioned...

I have two excellent FM classical-music stations in my area, WETA in DC and WGBH in Baltimore. The former has two HD channels, and I mentioned the effect that seems to have on my ancient tuner. The latter is 32 miles away (I don't think it has HD channels yet), and I'm in the process of installing a high-gain antenna in my attic in hopes of pulling it in with acceptable S/N.

I have good Wi-Fi in the house of course, but in addition to casual listening (for which those FM stations are great), I often listen critically to classical music (or blues or folk or bluegrass...), either over my ancient B&O Beovox M70 speakers or through my equally ancient Stax SR-5 "ear speakers." CDs are my preferred source material for critical listening (had to replace the CD player too), but I'd like to be able to enjoy those FM stations as well... -- Clark2