View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:15 PM

I can't find a speaker to go with a flea-watt triode amp. I've listened to many Klipsch, Altec, JBL, Omega, Tekton, and others and none of them do it for me. I tend to like speakers which have excellent definition, clarity, and imaging. Well, I guess I've heard some $30,000+ higher efficiency speakers which I liked, but haven't been willing to pop for that much. To my way of thinking the speaker is the keystone to one's entire system. You find the speaker which appeals to you and build your system around it.

Two modern speakers which I like a lot are the Magico S5 II and the B&W 802D3. Very tight, very clean and non-bloated bass, great imaging. I find them thrilling to listen to. The Magico was measured at 87.5db and the B&W at 91. I wouldn't pair either with a flea watt triode. I might try to drive the 802D3 with an Inspire KT150 mono, perhaps not for all types of music in all rooms, but for when listening at moderate levels.

There is a Von Schweikert massive tower VR-9SE Mk 2 which has been measured at 96db and sounds fantastic. I'd like to hear it with a great flea watt. But as this speaker sells for $118,000, that's way, way out of my price range.

I've yet to have a chance to listen to a low watt triode driving speakers which I really like.