View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I dunno. A used pair of Khorns can be picked up well under $2K if you are patient and spread your net well. Yes they are big, but tucked in the corners, they take up less space than one might expect. Also, there is Great Plains Audio....

https://greatplainsaudio.com/products/

A pair of new 604s will also run around $2K and can be built into the enclosures of your choice. I have two pair of the Altec 604s, one set in open baffles, and the other set in slightly modified Altec 828 cabinets. Both sets sound great.

Both the Khorns and 604s are well north of 100 db/w/m and a 45 SET amp will give you plenty of volume for your listening needs.

I'm glad Beetlebum likes his 45. Personally I think you all are missing the boat if you ignore the flea powered triode amps......
I agree with what you said, and in fact, this supports my contention. Remember not everyone has easy access to listen and check the conditions of these one-off speaker offers, or even do it yourself alternatives. Instead, the emphasis should be on mass-produced, higher quality high sensitive speakers to support the real SET experience. I'm sure the market niche is large enough to accommodate a few good mass produced / low-cost suppliers. Today, there are literally hundreds of expensive boutique speaker manufacturers competing basically for the same traditional market. It just does not make much sense not to exploit all the potential of the high sensitivity, high quality and relatively affordable market potential stemming from the truly appreciative low-power SET community. Essentially, nail the design and implementation down and go for high volumes ... This is what the big ones of years past did (Klipsch, JBL, Altec and many others which got diluted by the "more power" notion derived from the SS orientation. By the way, when I talk about speakers, I mean the entire set of components ready to be plugged (cabinet work included).

But, that is just me.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 07-25-2018 at 06:48 PM.