View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
Personally I've found the mastering and engineering techniques that had been used in creating the original recording far more critical to performance than format type.

In the few cases in which I possess the identical recordings on both vinyl and CD, the material had been remastered in the CD version making true apples-to-apples comparisons difficult and to my ears, the better of the two could be either format. I guess what I'm trying to say is that after many years of listening and experimenting, I still haven't been able to affirmatively resolve the question one way or the other...

That said, digital formats do hold the technological edge in respect to noise, speed variance and wear which may, or may not always be objectionable.
Eric - Agree with your mastering & engineering thoughts. Wondering if you have given any thought to an MC cartridge (LOMC if your preamp can handle, HOMC if not)? Have found that they are generally less susceptible to surface noise. Also found that the AT150 is a big step up from the 440.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag