Thread: Tesla Powerwall
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkizz View Post
I'm adding 10 more panels which should push me over the "need" to use the grid mark, however it's still there just in case.

the powerwalls have a few different settings, one of which uses all excess solar energy to charge the batteries until full then sends the excess to the grid. Then at night (or on cloudy days) discharges the batteries for power to the house. Another is called "backup" where I can set a percentage of the battery to be held in case of power outages from the grid, at which time the powerwalls disconnects totally from the grid and energizes the house.

supposedly I will be able to go 7 days with no grid... last hurricane about 20 of my neighbors and I were down 5 days... and even the ones on propane powered generators ran out. fingers crossed this is the ticket
I hope this works out well for you. Definitely keep this thread up to date with info though so we can all keep track of the progress and future results/status. I assume you are using your own panels and not the "roofing" solar panels Tesla makes?

I really do hope they continue to make strides in this space. It would be cool to one day be completely electricity independent for the same cost or lower of utility based power.