View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm running 1028be with a MA6500 most of the time. It's a nice combination that takes a little bit of the edge off of the highes. 'Laid back' is the way I'd describe it. I tried a few lower cost amps that were unable to tame the BE tweeters and the Mac was able to do exactly that.

Prior to the MA6500 I was using a Rogue Cronus Magnum. Blew a fuse in the Rogue and it never returned to rotation...until yesterday.

I decided to try using it just as a preamp because I've yet to pop the fuse in so I can bias it. It's feeding directly into the amp section of the MA6500.

It could be "expectation bias", but I'd swear it just brought the whole system to life. It's seems like there is great separation to individual instruments and they sound more like...instruments. Vocals sound more life like. Everything just sounds more 'live', at least as far as jazz is concerned.

The only drawback is preamp tube I'm using seems to reduce bass impact. Sort of a pain since the Mac wasn't phenomenal in that area in the first place.

Odd situation to be in now because I'm enjoying the combo. Good problem to have though, right?

System ll
AppleTV - Cambridge Audio DacMagic+ - Audioquest Evergreen - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum - Audioquest Type 4 - Fostex Kanspea FF105WK