View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Thanks for the input. Your advice echoes what I've read regarding placement of the "technology pockets."

Despite that information being out there, some seem to suggest attaching the speaker adapter to the wide end (bottom) of the Stillpoint Ultra SS, and orienting it hard hat (tapered side) down.

Obviously I have little choice but to use this type of orientation with Ultra 5's when I try those.

The question that I don't have an answer to is what purpose the hard hat would serve if it's attached to the wider end of the Stillpoint, and used as the point of contact with the floor. It no longer serves to isolate the speaker or component from the technology pocket. The best answer I come up with is for leveling purposes of the speaker, perhaps. Otherwise I see the hard hat on the wide end of the Stillpoint Ultra SS as an area of possible instability.

Presently, I use the speaker adapters and spikes on the Ultra SS's (as pictured below), but I'm not crazy about the spikes stability on my floors, so I'm considering the Ultra 5's or using the Ultra SS's in a different orientation.

Whether or not to use the outriggers or attach directly to the bottom of the speaker is whole different issue. My gut says the outriggers on these speakers don't help the sound when using Stillpoints. I'll play around with that after I decide which works best on outriggers.
There's a lot of experimentation going on with the Ultra devices. Stillpoints encourages it, and as the different reports suggest there are no hard and fast rules. Of course experimenting takes time, especially with speakers, so people are looking for guidelines. While one orientation versus another probably is appropriate for any specific context, its hard to screw-up in any major way. Be that as it may, I suggest placing the pockets closest to the component as a starting point.

And I agree with your take on the hard hat; when used with a threaded adapter, it allows for leveling, but then again so does attachment with the adapter alone. I'd probably take off the hats if I used the UltraSS with speakers and adapters.

That's where the Ultra5s really work well for speakers; they're wide so stability is not an issue and they have more technology pockets. If you had Ultra5s on the speaker bases and the speakers were stable, maybe you don't need the outriggers or the spikes. Pricey, yeah, but they'll always work and never wear out. That's one of the nice things about Stillpoints - they trickle down well.