View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Cyril.......Silent is just that. I can not hear the fans while standing directly in front of the Salamander rack. If I turn the speed controllers to full on I can hear the fans faintly from my listening position with no music playing, but by reducing the RPM's of the fans using the speed controllers the fans quickly reach a point where they are inaudible, and they still provide a nice flow of air. At the speed I have the fans running right now, the fans are completely silent with no music playing. Controlling the fan RPM is the key to reducing noise levels, providing you have large enough fans to provide adequate ventilation at the lower fan speeds.

My MC501's typically ran about 92 degrees in the amplifier shelf cavity at 10 to 20 watt output peaks before I installed the fans. I have listened to the amps all afternoon at this level with the new fans running, and the amplifier shelf cavities never got above 83 degrees. This tells me the fans are doing a nice job helping to remove heat, even at these normal operating temperatures.
Very cool Dan. Sounds like the perfect fix. Nicely done.