View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Wow, it is a LOT more damped than what came across on the YouTube video. My apologies, I certainly didn't mean to be critical of your room, which has to be one of the *nicest* I've seen - and I'm sure it sounds great.

Coincidentally, I had to move my Sashas out of my dedicated ASC iso-wall/ceiling media room because they sounded very harsh (even with tons of damping). Only had a 7.5 foot ceiling which, other than the iso-treatment, is the only reason anyone could come up with for why it sounded that way. The room is still used for HT (Sophia 2's in place of the Sashas) and my Sashas are upstairs in a larger family room with a higher ceiling and the difference is night and day.
No worries... Yes, sometimes certain room dimensions can be very problematic for certain speakers. I did not like my Wilson Sophia 3s in my other room. The larger Tannoy speakers did work just fine though. Usually Wilson speakers are very willing to play nice with various room dimensions.

The iso-wall and ceiling is really to keep the room from singing along and adding it's own sonic signature as well as damping out the bass resonance and the resulting smear of clean playback. I doubt it is very effective on the highs though. I suspect you are right, the very low ceiling height is what did them in.