View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 03:42 PM

Well I know this thread is a couple of months old now, but I've been looking for folks talking about the Kanta 3's! I got a pair about six weeks ago to replace my vintage B&W 802 S3's. Got Primaluna gear (Dialogue preamp and Dialogue HP Amp) to drive them.
I am still getting accustomed to them (I almost purchased the Kanta 2's but I'm a bit of a "bass head" and wanted more!)
The Kanta 3's are extraordinary speakers! The bass is absolutely outstanding, I don't believe I've heard better in a speaker near this size and this size driver. The bass is deep, powerful, FAST, and very dynamic. My right speaker is placed only about two feet from a corner out of necessity and the bass on that side can be (almost) overwhelming on some very occasional material. I need to do some room treatments. Overall, the sound is very well integrated, midrange is open with great resolution, the high end is NOT bright at all but airy and very omnidirectional sounding. In fact, the speakers are definuitely a bit to the warm side of neutral. The soundstage is outstanding. They have really "opened up" with wonderful air around instruments and voices, good depth (that took a few weeks to blossom), and the classic overused phrase that the speakers just seem, to "disappear". They are some of the fastest speakers I"ve heard, meaning great transient response- very "quick"- well integrated throughout the range. More like listening to a ribbon or electrostatic type speaker rather than a "box" speaker, if I am portraying that properly. Seem relatively easy to drive, I have more power than I need with the Primaluna HP amp. But they handle power VERY well. But I must mention again- the bass- I have rarely if ever heard speakers that get the perfect "snap" of a snare drum, the fast "thump" of a bass drum. Drums sound like...drums! Very "live" sounding, you- are- there nature. And dealers will work with you (at least mine did) on a deal as I think they want to put a little more room between these and the Sopras, which makes them an outstanding value. I am waiting patiently still for some in- depth reviews from the major publications. Well, that's my impressions of my first experience with Focal (except for some Focal speakers I have in my car doors!) I'd love to hear other impressions and if anyone knows of any reviews (besides a couple of shorter ones and previews) I'd be excited to read them as well.