Thread: Oppo 203
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Oppo 203

I recently sold my PS Audio Directstream with Bridge and the PS Audio Memory Transport faster than I thought as I’m in the middle of an upgrade project, more later on that...

A recent listening session showed me that the HT speakers were having a negative influence in my sound.

So between that and my other plans I simplified my home theater by pulling the A/V and the 6 speakers plus the JL Sub F112 V2 that I’ll be listing and right now have the Oppo 203 serving as my DAC and Transport, a $500 component on a crazy cost system.

If I used the Oppo more than a dozen times one could easily say I was stretching the truth, I am extremely impressed.

I have Apple TV going into the Oppo HDMI in, and use the FL/FR RCA outputs with XLR adapters into my preamp since there is no RCA on my preamp. Since my primary server with no DAC is down, I connected Roon/Tidal from my secondary unit residing on a Mac Mini located in my mechanical room.

The RCA cables are mid-level Audioquest culled from the home theater, Power is Ansuz A2, Ethernet and Grounding are from Nordost.

Color me impressed, with more direct connections, simplified video watching that includes better sound and seems to be better screen resolution.

Previously, I never wanted my AV to have pass through control on my 2 channel, so I kept systems separate. Cutting out the A/V and using Oppo as the DAC and Transport is of no concern and the amazing sound from the 2 Channel sound, makes no need for a center, rears of sub, this setup will be included going forward, I only wish I scored the 205 when they were available.

I’m estimating the Oppo sound quality is 65%-70% compared to a PS 2 box system, mind you the gap narrows IMO with Oppo being cabled up with the power, ethernet and grounding being high end cables, floating on Stillpoints Ultra SS and going into high end gear, but still...

While this is fun in a way to make do, the 30%-35% PS contributed to overall quality was IMO worth the $$$.

Anyway, point being is to share the story and highlight the Oppo 203.

Last edited by For The Love of Music; 11-04-2018 at 10:35 PM.