View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Modwright Oppo 105

Writing is not one of my strengths but below is an email I sent to Dan tonight in regard to my new Modwright Oppo BDP-105. I received it yesterday and absolutely love it. I sold my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II to help fund my Modwright 105. I liked the PS and although it was very close in sound quality to my Modwright BDP-95, more often than not I would find myself playing the Modwright 95. Oppo stepped it up a notch too with the 105. A much faster player in every way and better build. When someone said Dan hit this one out of the ballpark, I completely agree. I think the key is finding the right tubes and the sound is almost unreal. I first played Diana Krall's Abandoned Masquerade and I swear it gave me goose bumps!

Component level electronic repair is what I do. I disassembled my Modwright BDP-95. The mod layout and soldering work was excellent. The sound quality and craftsmanship, coupled with top notch support I experienced with my Modwright 95 was reasons I went for the Modwright 105 and 'BOY HOUDY' am I extremely glad I did. I am sure there are others but out of all of the places I have dealt with, there are only two I rate an A+ for customer support, steller sound and quality. Those two are ModWright and Decware.

Hi Dan,

I don't have much time but I wanted to let you know my initial thoughts on my new unit. In short, I LOVE it!!!!!!! It is everything you said and much more. The menu is much faster than my 95. From scrolling music or the time it takes to play is super fast. Using Jriver on my home server and an app called JRemote, I can control my music playing and volume, all from my iPad without the need for the TV to be on! I have not heard sources that cost $20,000. However when people are reporting your 105 mod sounds better, I have no doubt. The noise floor is lower. The bass is the most powerful I have ever heard in my system. The midrange is to die for. Even female voices that had exaggerated sibilance from tracks I had previously played hundreds of times, is much reduced and in some cases gone. I am always trying to upgrade and tweak my audio system in search for more better Hi-Fi. As a result this has become a very expensive hobby. With your 105 mod and the right tubes, I really believe my search is over. From Kristin, who was very nice and helpful, to your technician who has been a pleasure to deal with and went beyond assisting me with my slew of questions, and all of the times you helped me over the years, Modwright gets an A+ for customer support in my book. I could go on and on about my Oppo 105 mod but the bottom line is that this unit sounds so good it must be Holly Grail of audio sources. Thanks!