View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Extremely satisfied with my L-590AX Mark II.

Very vivid, colorful, smooth and musical integrated. Judging by the depth, layering and separation of instruments as well as very palpable and focused images it allows my Harbeth speakers to recreated across a broad and deep soundstage, there are very few if any compromises in this integrated amp's design. Major strengths are the smooth and musical Class A sound that is never grainy or harsh, has plenty of overhead reserves for crisp dynamic transient recreation, often with startling impact and drive.

This is not just a 30/60w Class A but has been laboratory tested to put out 180w into 4 ohms and protection shutdown kicking in at 300w into 2 ohms... Much more than the power handling rating of my Harbeth 30.2 for example. The power supply is very robust in this integrated with rather large capacitive reserve for the blur-free and sag-free dynamic swings and transient response.

This integrated feels and sounds much more dynamic than the specs would suggest. I don't think I ever actually get out of Class A mode in typical listening sessions but the few times I let it stretch its legs, I could hear no hardening of tone or any grain showing through. In fact the Harbeth speakers absolutely shined at the levels above my typical listening habits and the L-590 had absolute control over them with the VU meters happily bouncing to the beat of the drums.

The way this integrated draws me into music is on par with the very best separates I have owned and is in fact better than some I have owned in in similar price range in overall smoothness, tonal color saturation, spot on timbre and engaging presentation.

The features harking back to the 1970's with the tone controls and their complete bypass, A,B,A+B speaker selection, loudness compensation, monitoring, the very generous input and output section for future expendability, the "separates" mode so it can be used as a preamp or an amp should the situation warrant it, MM/MC phono-stage, all of which may or may not be used often but it is great to have them none the less since they do not get in the way or cause a sonic penalty.

I'm not going to list the previous amps I have owned as it is rather pointless to compare but let's just say this is not my most expensive unit I have owned and it does not leave me wanting. It is a purchase I am thrilled with. Absolute bargain I would say considering all the features and the sonic performance. Love it.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.