View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yeah, the 250 SWBs were always a favorite of mine.

Take a look at this, Serge.

The late David Love's Ferrari Testarossa. It was a literally a barn find by David over 40 years ago, and he paid $15,000 for it. He campaigned it in vintage events for the better part of 30 years until he passed. It was sold by his estate to a wealthy Bay Area car dealerships owner for $30,000,000.

Stephen, I live very close to Algar Ferrari. Algar as in Al Garthwaite who opened the first showroom in the US back in 1964 once Luigi Chinetti the famed sports car driver, who won multiple 24 Hours of LeMans races talked Mr.Enzo Ferrari into actually selling his road cars in the USA.

The building itself is actually quite historic as it housed the quite prestigeous and successful body/coach builders. The Derham brothers. Many a royalty have worked with them for a custom automobile as was the standard back in the early days. You know, just your average, "every day" royalty like Joseph Stalin, Pope Pius XII, King Farouk, President Eisenhower, Gary Cooper and Raymond Loewy. Derham's limousines were used in fifteen coronations around the world.

Before that they made horse coaches for royalty since it was a multi-generational business.

All in the same building which was renovated and modernized in the recent years to the tune of $7M right before Bob Segal sold the Algar dealership to a son of a Russian Oligarch who is now the current owner of Algar Ferrari.

Many of the salesmen have been there for decades so I got to hear many stories originating from 1964 and passed on.

So getting back to the Testarossa... A few were actually sitting in the rain in front of the dealership for months back in the day and they were not good sellers at all since it was not a very practical car....